Monday, November 22, 2010

Redesign, Rethink, Renew

I am redesigning this blog, rethinking what it's purpose should be, renewing my committment to writing in it.  I am going to writing it as a Christian, God fearing mom who is faithful, frugal, and committed to feeding her family well.  I have recently decided to start cooking in more of a meal planning mind frame rather than the last minute panic at 5 pm as I come home from work.  Sometimes the rush of getting something that is fairly homemade, good for family and fulfilling takes ownership of the night and I don't get to spend time with my son or I get frustrated with him as I try to do the opposite - please my boys with food.  So, the last week and a half have been my own adventure as I tried to plan ahead and have dinner be a little simpler on the household. 

There are a few things to consider at this house.   Monday is free night.  Tuesday is Grandma & Grandpa night where Noah gets to go visit and play with both his grandparents and his cousins.  Wednesday night is church.  Thursday is free night.  Friday is Reformers Unanimous - Mike and I started going as it is also a discipleship class and we would like to give back if we can as well.  We didn't always make the best choices and now that we are making much better choices perhaps we can help inspire others through making the right choices with God.  Saturday is free.  Sunday is church in the morning and the evening. 

Dinner last night was beef enchiladas - which have never been made in this house.  The beef I picked up on sale 2 weeks ago, stocked up, and froze.  The enchilada sauce at a sale a few months back.  The tortillas I did not get on sale - but should have!  :)  The cheese I had gotten on sale a month or two ago, it was a shredded Kraft Mexican mix and I had frozen it. The cream cheese (yes, I know...not traditional) I did get on sale.  It turned out so yummy that we will be incorporating it into our meal planning.  I served them with Lipton Spanish Rice (also purchased on sale) and on a bed of lettuce, topped with sour cream.  Here is the recipe:

Three Cheese Beef Enchiladas (thanks to http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/)


 
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded jack cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 ounces of cream cheese softened (I know that this is not authentic but it made them really creamy and good)
  • 1 19 ounce can of red enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups of cooked ground beef
  • 8 to 10 flour tortillas

Combine 1 cup of jack cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, 3/4 cup (or so) of enchilada sauce, and beef. Mix until well combined. Pour about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into a 9×13 pan and spread it around. Than place about 1/4 cup of filling into each tortilla shell ( I just guessed on the amount here, it may have been 1/3 cup). Roll up and place in pan. Pour remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until heated through.

 

 Over the next few days I will post the other meals that we had that worked out so well.  Thank goodness for the internet and all the ladies that are willing to share their triumphs in the kitchen.  GOD BLESS!

 

No comments: