Monday, October 20, 2008

I see a monkey!

Finding old friends and making new ones...I suppose it is a natural cycle of life, but often just feels awkward. I was talking to my husband's friends girlfriend (yes, a mouthful) last night and we were talking about the friends that you find, rarely, that understand the good and the bad of you. They love you unconditionally and they are willing to share their truths as well without judging you. Then you have the friends with whom you truly enjoy their company and yet you couldn't just sit and talk about the craving you had last night for a margarita and so you had one.

Basically, what I am saying is that everyone is human. We entered this life innocent and somewhere along the way let life take us in. By allowing that to happen we EXPERIENCED...crazy, happy, wicked, sexy, delightful, tantalizing, troubling, aching, pensive, unchartered, loving, tripping...etc. Once experiencing any and all of those things you don't just return to innocence. You may attempt to return and you may ask God for forgiveness, that however does not mean that you no longer ever dream, wish, long for those same things. It wouldn't be human to say that all things of your former life just disappear...believe you me...don't I wish. There is a quote by Malcom de Chazal that says, "Monkeys are superior to men in this: When a monkey looks into a mirror, he sees a monkey."

I say that we work to be true, honest, loving, kind and the best person that we can be with God's help, but realize that we are human. We will make mistakes, we will fall down and we all need the friends that notice that a listening ear and an outheld hand are our binding agents. I choose to see a monkey.


No comments: